The topics that are covered in precalculus encourage students to use problem solving and prepare them for future pursuits that may include STEM (science/technology/engineering/math) careers. Precalculus emphasizes mathematical analysis rather than just the memorization of facts.
Throughout the precalculus course, students will reach for the following goals:
- Analyzing and interpreting the structure of polynomial, rational, and exponential functions.
Communicating effectively using graphic, numeric, symbolic, and verbal
- Exploring mathematical reasoning used in trigonometric functions.
- Demonstrating and understanding of matrices and solving systems using matrix equations.
- Exploring and calculating theoretical probabilities and developing a probability distribution for a random variable.
- Classifying conic equations and constructing graphs of conic sections.