By the time they reach fourth grade, students are usually strong readers who have developed the skills for seeing patterns in history and current events. This growth prepares them for reading longer and more in-depth historical narratives and for recognizing how ancient, past, and current events are often tied together.
A standards-based program will target goals like:
- Becoming an active citizen
- Thinking critically
- Use of technology to research and report
- Map reading
- Use of Timelines
- Interpretation of Charts, Graphs, and Tables
- Gain an understanding of economic concepts (banks, imports/exports/production of goods)
- Learn about the characteristics, way of life, and beliefs of various cultures such as vikings, Native Americans, etc.