By the end of the year, your child should have a deep understanding of civic issues such as cultural, etnic and linguistic diversity, democratic values and more.
Some of the topics for eighth grade social studies should include:
- Creation and ratification of the constitution and Bill of Rights
- State and local history
- American expansion, immigration and slavery
- The American Civil War and reconstruction
- Civil rights expansion and social movements
- Industrialization and the Great Depression
- Inventions and advancements in communications and transportation
- Contributions of American leaders to the war.